12 March 2012

Entering the World of WarCraft


World of WarCraft is one of those thoroughly addicting games that I can easily say has a firm and unrelenting grasp on the lives of its players. I first discovered the series from my cousin Michael as he was playing the third installation, WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos. After ten years and five game expansions I stand before you all and say, "Hi. My name is Elle and I play WoW."


WarCraft III was my introduction to the lore of WarCraft, and I'm pretty big on lore so needless to say I was on it like a dog on a bone. Having completed both Reign of Chaos and Frozen Throne the release of World of WarCraft in 2004 as a massive multiplayer online roleplaying game (MMORPG) not only meant that I would be able to take part in shaping the history of Azeroth as I knew it. If you're not already geeking out, I suggest you start reading up on what you've missed so far.


Each expansion after the original brought on new playable races and classes, areas and events, mysteries, dungeons, and challenges. The Burning Crusade reintroduced us to the forgotten Outlands where Illidan the Deceiver awaited, Wrath of the Lich King threw us into the fray in the frozen lands of Northrend to face the first death knight Arthas, and the Cataclysm tore the world asunder as Deathwing took flight. Now as the world begins to heal and the dust begins to settle the Mists of Panderia begin to clear, bringing forth untouched lands and new adventures.


I took a break from World of WarCraft just before the Cataclysm. Having returned to it this weekend it's as if the world around me has cha- wait, it totally did. Nevermind. The latest expansion changed many aspects of gameplay including leveling improvement, class and profession changes, and storylines. The world I once knew is now completely alien to me - but that's a good thing.

I've yet to get too far into the game as I started playing a new class but I'm taking to it like a duck to water - not much has changed there. What I will say has stayed, and will continue to be, the same is that this game is addicting. Those who have a will strong enough to break free from its hold every so often, peel themselves away from the computer screen, and are able to socialize in the real world are true champions.

Moderation is key in life, right? Well, if you're considering whether or not you should start playing the game, or even if you're thinking of getting back into it - you of all people understand my pain, let it be known that you will be diving headfirst into the game. Good luck, and may the odds ever be in your favor. Oh, oops, wrong fandom.

No comments:

Post a Comment