27 November 2012

Thanksgiving 2012


Thanksgiving is that special time of year when friends, family, and loved ones come together to give thanks for all that they are grateful. If you're Southern it means the entire house smells of a delicious blend of foods all day, everyone is hollerin' and slightly (if not completely) intoxicated, and no one is paying any mind to dietary restrictions. This is not the time of year to be sticking to a strict diet and workout routine in the first place. Wait until after the holidays are over and then you can go back to the gym, pick up some weights, get your butt to the treadmill, and shed off your Turkey Day calories. Now raise your glasses for a toast to a little bit of turkey fried!

Shelby, Jason, and Cass are hard at work in the kitchen.

Jason was our wonderful host and chef, and spent the entire day cooking in the kitchen as I prepped the space for our guests later that night. The pooch and puss were starting to get along and were sniffing each other out and trying to play nice as their territory was being invaded and shifted around. This was my very first Thanksgiving in Manhattan and it was a bit of an adjustment. I'm used to waking up in the morning and going to church, coming back for Thanksgiving brunch, continuing to cook and drink until Thanksgiving lunch was prepped, and waiting around for the main event that was Thanksgiving dinner.


Instead of tens of family members bouncing from one house and feast to the next we had a table set for eight of our closest friends for Thanksgiving Dinner. I prefer this smaller and more intimate gathering because it really allows you to spend quality time with and appreciate the company around you.


I tend to dress up for these holidays but decided to one up my usual look by slapping on a bow tie for the second time that week. I don't care what anyone says but I think I look pretty spiffy in these things. I do miss my tank tops and shorts but sometimes a pressed shirt and tie are pretty dashing on a guy as well. Does this mean I'm growing up and out of my twinkie phase? Not necessarily, but it's nice to have a bit more variety in your closet. A wise man once told me that "beige don't age," but a clean and classy look is timeless.


Now you know a meal is delicious when everyone around you is sitting and eating in silence. You could have definitely heard a pin drop in that room with the hush that fell over the apartment once everyone sat in front of their plates. Jason did a really amazing job with our meal, making sure to add several sticks of butter to each item, and knocking us out with a delicious helping of green beans with cranberries and bacon, mashed potatoes, stuffing, creamed corn, and a few pieces of a tender and juicy twenty-three pound turkey.


After searching Manhattan for a week straight looking for a twenty-four pound turkey I finally settled with a 22.79lbs beast from Trader Joe's the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Shortly after hauling the frozen hunk of meat from Union Square to Hell's Kitchen did I get a call from a friend in Queens who found a 24lbs turkey at his local butcher for $40. The universe was clearly against me.

This is the scene the day after Thanksgiving.

After dinner and dessert we made our way out to a few local gay bars in Hell's Kitchen to continue to drink and be merry. It was a little difficult feeling sexy after having such an extraordinarily large meal but we all made it work to our advantage. I guess it was a good thing that everyone was also coming from a large dinner. Alcohol definitely helps to loosen our standards, expectations, and morals, too. Oh, God bless Amuhrca...


Just hear those sleigh bells jingling, ring ting tingling too...

One of my biggest pet peeves around Thanksgiving was the premature holiday music and decorations going up around town. The Friday after is when you can begin to put up your ornaments and wreathes and blast Christmas carols, not before. The only acceptable song to be playing any other time of the year besides Christmas is Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas" since we're dancing and singing along to that in the summer anyway.

I hope y'all had a great Turkey Day, I know I definitely did. Now let the remaining festivities begin! What are y'all getting me for Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment