20 November 2012

Trevor Project Fall Fête 2012


The Angel Orensanz Center in the Lower East Side

Trevor NextGen is a volunteer division of The Trevor Project whose main goals include raising awareness and promoting the growth of Trevor's programs through outreach and fundraising events in the community. One such event includes our annual Fall Fête which was emceed by Avenue Q's John Tartaglia, and featured music by DJ Lina. The evening included live musical entertainment by Anthony Rapp from the original Broadway cast of Rent, upscale silent auction items, a deluxe raffle ticket prize, and of course a hosted bar.

Fall Fête Co-Chairs Jason Michael Butler and Doug Kenney

The event was hosted at the Angel Orensanz Center in the Lower East Side, a gorgeous neo-gothic synagogue located on Norfolk Street between East Houston and Stanton Street. It was the perfect venue for our event as the space allowed for open accessibility to everything that was going on from the bars, DJ, and upper level balcony but also maintained an intimate setting for the guests to feel comfortable to mingle and socialize. The architecture and design of the space took my breath away for a good minute or so, but thanks to my hot date and strong liquor brought to us by Absolut OUTrageous I started to focus less on the synagogue and more on the goings on around me.

mandatory mirror pictures

It didn't take long for us to find our friends and when you combine bow ties, blazers, liquor, and gays what you get is a hilarious photobombing experience. I can't wait for those pictures to come out! Everyone was looking quite dashing and I was event complimented a few times for my smart little outfit. I thought it'd be cute to rock a bow tie so I found an instructional YouTube video on how to properly tie a bow tie. After forty minutes and seven failed attempts I was able to manage something that looked halfway presentable and with which I was happy. Matt and I were slightly distracted by booze the entire time and may have forgotten to get our pictures taken with TimeOut magazine but we made up for it with camera phone mirror shots - I think they turned out great, no?


Anthony Rapp performed a few numbers from our favorite musicals, Hedwig and the Angry Inch and Rent, sending all us drunken queens into nostalgic hysteria and mouthing the words as he sang. The silent auction was also quite a spectacle with items such as prime tickets to 'Pink Martini' at Carnegie Hall, a styling consultation and custom suit fitting by Banana Republic, and, my personal favorite, VIP tickets to 'The View' and meeting with the host valued at "Priceless." Raffle tickets were also being sold for a chance to win an all-expenses paid trip to Switzerland... or was it Sweden? Well, regardless I didn't win, so I got rid of my sorrows my consuming one too many Schmackery's cookies. Thanks, Zach!



I'm still stunned by the lovely venue and am thinking of booking it for my birthday this coming 21st of January. The main problem is its location and the difficulty of getting everyone there as it's not exactly the most accessible of venues, especially when coming from and dealing with Hell's Kitchen, Chelsea, and other western Manhattan gays. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks. Anyway, we had a blast at the benefit and can't wait to see y'all at our next event so be sure to sign up for our mailing list for upcoming news on ways you can help out in your community! 

No comments:

Post a Comment